Until about a year ago I wasn’t too concerned about ageing. At 25, my skin felt and looked fresh and I wouldn’t have considered myself to have wrinkles. Fast forward a year however to 26 and wow, the wrinkles have landed on Planet Chloe. When we hit 25, our bodies have pretty much stopped growing, meaning our production of collagen declines significantly. Collagen is what plumps up our skin below the surface, but when we stop producing it, collagen and elastin fibres break down, causing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines on the surface. As we age, wrinkles get progressively deeper and they become more problematic to treat, which is why prevention is one of the best ways to set yourself up for the ageing process.
I’m not sure I’m ready for Botox and the thought of it is quite scary (not to mention expensive), however the anti-ageing, peptide-filled, hyaluronic acid spheres are just not cutting the mustard. So I embarked upon my journey to find something that went deeper than the creams, in a quest to prevent the dreaded wrinkles.
On my crusade to find something that truly worked I came across a technology known as nanocurrent. Currents take me back to my Year 8 school days in electronics class, looking at a circuit board with utter bemusement and playing with a soldering gun. Turns out nanocurrent is a little more sophisticated.
What Are Nanocurrents?
But what are nanocurrents you wonder? Nanocurrents, are tiny electrical currents that are perfectly in sync with your body’s own frequency. The results? Well they’re long-lasting and quick, much quicker than any cream can give you. Plus even the most sensitive skin type (hello, mine) can tolerate and respond well to its intelligent energy.
So nanocurrent was what my skin needed, but where could one find such technology? In salon facials? Eh-eh. No one has the time or money for a £200 facial thank you very much. It was then that I stumbled across a rather space age device called ZIIP.
How Does the ZIIP Work?
The palm sized device claims to be an “exquisitely beautiful battery that creates a circuit with your skin.” Well that all sounds very exciting, but how is it going to help with the ageing process?
Turns out, that ZIIP’s groundbreaking, patented and FDA-cleared (that’s the US body which determines whether a device is safe for home use or not) technology is able to deliver intelligent energy beneath the skin’s surface to create change on a cellular level. Meaning the results come quick and last longer.
The device itself is quite beautiful and very user friendly, with one button on the top, small enough to fit in the palm of your hand, lightweight and perfectly shaped to hug the curves and contours of your face. The packaging is also simple, yet effective, coming with the ZIIP Golden Conductive Gel, charging cable, cleaning cloth and travel pouch, it’s very Instagrammable to say the least.
But how does that little device reduce and prevent those unwanted wrinkles. Quite easily really. Using carefully-constructed programs designed with nanocurrent, as well as microcurrent and direct current, ZIIP communicates with your skin cells to create more collagen and elastin and repair tissue. And here’s the gamechanger, these currents can also be used to decrease onset acne, increase circulation, accelerate wound healing, and reduce pigmentation. I really hit the jackpot when I discovered this baby.
Now let’s get all sciency. When these electrical currents make contact with your skin, they stimulate a naturally-occurring chemical called Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP). ATP is stored energy, released when you need it. As we age, our ability to produce and store ATP deteriorates, which means that our bodies don’t have the stored energy to repair damaged skin cells (the one’s that cause wrinkles). ZIIP’s electrical currents increase the levels of ATP in your skin, replenishing your stored energy and allowing your cells to communicate again and repair themselves (decreasing and preventing the appearance of wrinkles).
Now then, how does all that magical technology make its way from the ZIIP to your face?
With the ZIIP app of course. All your treatments are housed in one place and there are eight delicious routines in total to choose from. Let me break them down for you:
- Primer: So this is a 2 minute treatment and is recommended to be used before every ZIIP treatment you complete to optimise the results. On it’s own it brightens skin and brings a glowing flush to your skin.
- Energize: This one is an all-encompassing face and neck treatment that lifts and brightens skin in 12 minutes. It’s recommended to use 3 times a week and you can leave the gel on afterwards too.
- Sensitive Energize: Same as above, however it has been designed for the most sensitive skin, so it calms and heals also.
- Instant Gratification: THIS is the holy grail (and the one that gives you those instant cheekbones in 4 minutes). Recommended 3 times a week, you can leave the gel on afterwards and is what the rest of this blog post is all about.
- Total Clearing: Treats and prevents acne, by killing the bacteria under your skin using electrical currents. This treatment can be used as and when you need it, using it for 1-8 minutes, however you shouldn’t exceed treating within 24 hours. It’s recommended to wash the gel off after your treatment as all the bacteria is brought to the surface and you really want to wash those nasties away.
- Pigmentation: This one treats and prevents melasma (pigment) and sun spots. It’s a 6 minute treatment, to be done 3 times a week and again you should wash off the gel after the treatment
- Quick Fix: This speedy treatment quickly and effectively treats pores, under eye bags and fine lines in just 2 minutes. You can use it 3-5 times a week and you should wash the gel off after use. Fun fact: this was launched as a male specific treatment, but was so popular it’s now recommended for all skin types and genders.
- Vital Eyes: Is a 4 minute treatment which helps awaken eyes, whilst reducing puffiness, dark circles and fine lines. It’s recommended to use 3 times a week and you can leave the gel on.
To use any of these treatments, you simply select one from the app, sync it to your ZIIP device, slather yourself in either the Gold or Silver Conductive gel and follow Stephanie (the brand founder) through the treatment video. You can leave the gel on after some of these treatments, however for me I find it quite sticky and often use my ZIIP before bed, so I always wash it off regardless of the treatment I have chosen.
Which Treatment Gives You Cheekbones?
Now, you landed here because you wanted to know how to sculpt those cheekbones though right? And for that you need the Instant Gratification treatment I mentioned above.
This 4 minute treat is seriously amazing. I have quite a puffy face and like I said earlier, I’m starting to see the early signs of ageing, around my eyes and mouth. I mix a combination of the Gold and Silver Conductive gels on my face, around 4 pumps of each and get started. It’s perfect before a night out as it gives you an instant glow and more importantly that lift, meaning less contouring and a serious increase in my confidence.
What’s more, with continued use, you see an overall decrease in fine lines based on the ATP stimulation. I’ll add some before and afters soon.
Have you ever tried an electrical device on your face at home or in a salon?